The festive season is upon us. If you would like to make a spectacular culinary statement on Christmas day, give our organic festive slow-roast mutton shoulder a try. it’s very easy to prepare and cook and your guests will be duly impressed. Just remember to order your shoulder from one of our outlets soonest before they’re all gone. Visit our outlets page to find one near you.
1 organic mutton shoulder, fat untrimmed
2 tbsp olive oil
2 carrots, cut into thirds
2 onions, quartered
2 stalks of celery, quartered
3 heads garlic, halved widthways
300 ml red wine
1 cup of water
½ bunch thyme
2 sprigs rosemary
1. Preheat oven to 220 deg C.
2. Place the shoulder in a roasting pan, score mutton fat and drizzle olive oil over the whole shoulder.
3. Rub with 2 tsp sea salt and enough black pepper.
4. Arrange veggies around the meat and pour the wine and water over the veggies.
5. Roast for 20 minutes until lightly browned.
6. Reduce oven to 150 deg C.
7. Scatter mutton with thyme and rosemary and cook, covered with foil, for 4½ hours until meat falls from the bone.
8. Transfer mutton to a large platter and rest for 15 mins.
9. Strain cooking juices into a medium saucepan, discarding vegetables.
10. Season juice to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, skim excess fat from surface, transfer to a serving jug and serve with mutton.
[Recipe adapted from Gourmet Traveller. Image credit: Gourmet Traveller.]